Wednesday 17 August 2016

Going up a Gere

I've been fantasy-casting the movie of my Watchers trilogy again... and I reckon I'd let Richard Gere from Autumn in New York audition for the Archangel Uriel.

He has the right hair.
Hair matters. It's my movie, damnit.

"Can you do massively snobbish sexually-frustrated villain, Richard?"

I've just been writing a Uriel scene for The Valleys of the Earth. At 70K I'm now entering the endgame of the novel. This scene was a masterclass in pantsing because I had no idea how it was going to end when I started.
  • I knew I had to get my protagonist out of her current Dire Peril (... she is always in dire peril)
  • I knew what would happen if it was an erotica book, but it isn't
  • I knew what would happen if it was a really mean horror story, but it isn't
  • I didn't want her to get rescued by one of her allies, just for a change
  • I didn't want her to give in to Uriel's manipulation
 So I started writing and ... ended up researching the Carboniferous period.

Writing is weird.

No comments: